Weather and Climate – North Coast of the Dominican Republic
“The Island of the Everlasting Summer”….
The majority of the Dominican Republic experiences beautiful sunny weather year round. In the north-east region it is considered a tropical climate with the rain providing a beautiful green lushness while in the Southern region it is more of a desert climate with less rainfall. The Dominican enjoys annual average temperatures around 25 degrees Celsius (77 degrees Fahrenheit).
The North Coast has slightly different weather patterns from the rest of the country because of its direct contact with the Atlantic trade winds. The trade winds blow from the north-east during November to March thus providing a welcoming breeze and also reducing the humidity.
Throughout the country daytime temperatures show little seasonal variation from month to month and even in the rainy season or cool season, there is still a considerable amount of sunshine.
Winter Season in the Dominican Republic – November to April
The winter season or “cool season” lasts from November to April.
- The humidity is relatively low compared to the summer season with cooler temperatures during the evening
- The climate closer to the coastal or beach regions experiences highs of 28 degrees Celsius or 83 degrees Fahrenheit during the day
- Average lows dropping close to 20 degrees Celsius or 68 degrees Fahrenheit in the evenings.
- Shorter period of daylight compared to the summer season
- The sunrises 7:00 – 7:30 am and sunsets 6:00 – 6:00 pm
- Water or ocean temperature is cooler. Mid to high 70 degree Fahrenheit
- At night you may want to wear a light jacket or wrap if sitting by the ocean.
Summer Season in the Dominican Republic – May to October
The summer season or “warm season” in the Dominican Republic runs from May to October
- The humidity during the summer season is much higher than the winter season especially during August and September
- Average daily highs for the coastal and beach regions rise to around 31 degrees Celsius or 87 degrees Fahrenheit during the day
- Average lows dropping down to about 22 degree Celsius or 72 degrees Fahrenheit at night.
- Longer period of daylight compared to the winter season
- Sunrise starts 6:00 – 6:30 am and sunsets 7:00 – 7:45 pm
- Water or Ocean temperatures are higher. Low to mid 80 degree Fahrenheit
Rainy Season – October to January
Most rain in the North Coast occurs later in the year from October to January with sunnier and dryer conditions during the hotter summer months from May to September.
Tropical Hurricane Season – Beginning of June to End of November
The Hurricane season in the Dominican Republic begins the first of June and ends the last week in November.
One of the benefits about living in Cabarete-Sosua in the North Coast is that we are protected by one of the largest mountains in the Caribbean. Pico Duarte is over 10,000 feet high and is part of the Cordillera Septentrional mountain range. With a high elevation of over 1,000 meters and cooler temperatures the Cordillera helps to diffuse any hurricane into a tropical storm.
In 2017 the Caribbean and the Florida state was devastated by two category 5 hurricanes, Irma and Maria. Cabarete-Sosua experienced Tropical Storm winds as both hurricanes changed their course to a northerly direction.
In 2015 Hurricane Erika was disrupted due to the high terrain of the mountains and therefore all we received in the North Coast was some very much needed rain.
What is a Tropical Storm, Hurricane, Cyclone?
- Category 1 winds measure between 74 and 95 mph..(64-82 knots)
- Category 2 winds measure between 96 and 110 mph (83-95 knots)
- Category 3 winds measure between 111 and 130 mph. (96-113 knots)
- Category 4 sustainable winds between 131 and 155 mph. (114-135 knots)
- Category 5 Sustainable winds over 155 mph.(135 knots and above)
What is the Temperature today in Cabarete and Sosua?
Click on the Weather Network for current weather conditions here in Cabarete/Sosua areas of the Dominican Republics’s North Coast.
Latest Forecast for Surfing Conditions in the North Coast, DR
Check the wind, waves and tide forecast for Cabarete or any travel destination when kiteboarding, windsurfing or sailing in the Dominican Republic.
Click on Wind, Waves & Weather Forecast